The Best Shampoos

Discussion in 'Hair' started by Shuzz, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Shuzz

Shuzz Member

By Aja Mangum

Sisley, $58
    Botanical extracts are mild enough to make this suitable for all hair types, and you can wash every day without overdrying. Pro: You need only a dab to work up a lather. Con: A subtle Vicks smell. (At Saks Fifth Avenue.)

Hamadi, $27
    Already steep, the cost of this shampoo escalates further when you consider how much it takes to make a lather. Still, hair is shiny and bouncy after one use. (At Sephora stores; sephora.com.)

Kérastase, $24
    Contains salicylic acid, an exfoliating agent used to treat acne, which helps make this L’Oréal product good for sensitive scalps and dry hair. Has a rich and creamy lather, too. (At Butterfly Studio, 149 Fifth Ave., nr. 21st St., 2nd fl.; 212-253-2100.)

Lancôme, $16.50
    Designed to treat weakened, dull hair. The ceramide hydrates while the natural wax seals damaged ends. Lancôme’s gel-like texture leaves hair feeling light and squeaky-clean. (At Bloomingdale’s.)

Bumble and Bumble, $16
    Recommended for chemically treated hair. It doesn’t make locks as shiny as some shampoos, but does leave you needing only a little conditioner for the ends. (At Barneys New York.)

Propoline, $14.50
    This Greek shampoo uses honey—the extra wheat protein and vitamin E strengthens hair. After one use, a distinct glow is noticeable. (At C.O. Bigelow Apothecary, 414 Sixth Ave., nr. 9th St.; 212-533-2700.)

Davines Nou Nou, $14
    The bottle is so thin, you can almost feel the shampoo texture. Highly moisturizing, it makes frizzy ends disappear. (At Armando Corral Salon, 12 Little W. 12th St., 3rd fl.; 212-206-7712.)

de-luxe, $5.95
    The rosemary and mint give your scalp a soothing, tingly feeling, but post-wash detangling is cumbersome. The bottle scores extra chic points. (At Target stores; target.com.)

Alberto V05, $2.39
    Made with lavender and chamomile, this conditioning shampoo “blooms” in hot water, releasing a fruity fragrance. (At Duane Reade stores; duanereade.com.)

2. UltraStyle

UltraStyle Administrator Staff Member

Kerastate is my Favourite, so is Frederic Fekkai' Apple Cider. Both of them don't feel like I'm stripping my hair. they are both pretty pricey but they do last for a while.

3. DaniDee

DaniDee New Member

I don't use any shampoos that have Sulfates in them. This ingredient is very bad for you hair in skin and its in almost everything. I haven't been using sulfates for about a year now and my hair has never looked better. My two favorites are anything by Johnthan and Healthy Sexy Hair Chocolate Soy Milk Shampoo (this one is partically yummy!)

4. UltraStyle

I meant to try this brand (jonathan) do they carry shampoos for oily hair?

5. rickyjohan

rickyjohan Guest

hi friend !
    i want to know that which is the good shampoo for
    my oily hair i have already try many shampoo but not effected .

6. Gabs

Gabs UltraFashionista

I have been trying to use plant-based shampoos but my hair is still falling...must be because of stressed since I am back to my natural color. The only shampoo that I have ever used and did what it was meant to do (remove dandruff) is Nizoral (medical shampoo).
    Question: is Kerastate for dyed hair ?

7. UltraStyle

^ have you tried any hair vitamins?

8. UltraStyle

Yes. Kerastase has a special Line for colored hair, but also has other products for non-colored, I don't color my hair and I use the orange line.

9. Gabs

Gabs UltraFashionista

^ I couldn't find it in Romania. I'm thinking of giving Klorane a try and I am trying to find the anti-hair loss shampoo from Vichy.

10. UltraStyle

Whats the name of the anti-hair loss shampoo from Vichy? does it work?

11. Gabs

Gabs UltraFashionista

Vichy Dercap Vital Shampoo (Anti Hair Loss)....I haven't tried myself, but the woman that mentioned it to me said it worked for her.

12. UltraStyle

Thanks Gabs-I'll look for for it myself.

13. Gabs

Gabs UltraFashionista

^ I am using the Vichy shampoo right now but I have to say I am a bit disappointed, I mean it's pretty good and definately I have a lot less hair falling even though I've been using it for just two weeks, but there's something I don't like about it...I don't know what though :)

14. UltraStyle

Does it make your hair look oily/greasy? not fresh? I had that so many times with new shampos.

15. Gabs

Gabs UltraFashionista

It makes it a bit dry I guess...but maybe that's just the way stronger hair should look. I don't know.

16. UltraStyle

Maybe it's just wrong fro your hair type?

17. Gabs

Gabs UltraFashionista

Probably....either way, I would recommand it. For anti-hair loss it works. After all, it's a medical shampoo...

18. UltraStyle

Maybe you can combine it with your regular shampoo. Use it first and then use the shampoo that makes your hair look good.

19. Suzy

Suzy Member

Right now I'm using a quite cheap shampoo: Gliss Kur's hair repair which costs around $7. My hairdresser adviced me this one. I'm not very satisfied though - not with the shampoo and the hairdresser! I think I'll have to find another salon and ask for their advice.

20. Magster

Magster Member

I use whatever's safe for colour-treated hair and smells good to me when I'm shopping.